Perhaps the most important challenge we face here at Sprint is ensuring customer safety, including their personal data, as they take advantage of the benefits that come with mobile technology.
The areas of greatest concern for our customers include texting while driving, managing Web content and account settings, and protecting their wireless devices from theft or damage. Our goal is to enable customers to feel safe and confident while getting the most from their wireless devices.
Keeping drivers safe on the road
With the increased use of wireless devices, the risk of distracted driving has also risen. We take this issue seriously and recognize the risk customers face when driving distracted. Texting while driving can kill. We’re committed to educating our customers on the importance of safe driving, and we’ve developed several solutions that help them stay safe on the road.
- Drive First is a Sprint application that automatically locks the user’s mobile phone when their vehicle reaches 10 mph. It sends calls to voice mail, silences distracting alerts and provides a customizable reply for text messages, such as "I am driving right now and will call you back when I'm parked." Drive First is available on its own or as part of the Sprint Guardian bundle of applications.
- DriveCam is a video camera that records dangerous driving actions and notifies the driver's parents. Video recording is initiated by excessive g-forces exerted when an individual is driving dangerously.
- Chrysler Group's UConnect Access is a connected car experience. Sprint is its mobile integrator. Sprint-enabled UConnect Access services support driver focus or provide driver assistance with voice texting, voice-activated local search services, one-touch 911 calling, roadside assistance, stolen vehicle assistance and theft alarm notification.
- Hands-free accessories can help drivers stay safe behind the wheel. We offer a variety of hands-free accessories in retail stores and online.
Putting customers in control of content
With Internet access across so many devices, many users are concerned about controlling their account capabilities and the content they and their family members can access. Sprint has developed several helpful solutions:
Protecting wireless devices
- My Sprint account controls empower customers to manage their Sprint accounts. My Sprint allows users to block or allow settings, texts, data usage, and picture and Web sharing. It also lets customers restrict access to certain Internet sites and manage their own wireless settings. While other wireless companies charge their customers for access to these controls, we give them to our customers for free.
- SMS and mobile ad controls give customers the opportunity to stop unsolicited text messages by blocking messages from specific senders. Using the Mobile Privacy tool in My Sprint, customers have the ability to tailor the ads that appear on their smartphones.
We understand it’s important to our customers to protect their wireless devices. We offer solutions to assist customers with lost, damaged or stolen devices.
- Total Equipment Protection includes tools that allow customers to alarm, locate, lock, or wipe their mobile device if it is lost or stolen. With these same tools, we make it easier for customers to file claims.
- Lookout Mobile Security is preloaded on all Sprint Android-powered devices. The app enables Sprint customers to manage their phone security by protecting it against identity theft and fraud, find a missing device when it is lost or stolen, and back up their data.
- Assurant Advanced Protection Pack offers security for our customers’ netbooks, notebooks, and tablets. This device protection plan can protect, secure and back up these devices and includes convenient troubleshooting advice and virus protection.
Tools for parents and guardians
is a collection of mobile family safety and device security bundles that help parents ensure the responsible use of mobile phones by their children. Sprint Guardian is made up of two bundles, Family Safety Essentials (three applications: Sprint Mobile Controls, Sprint Drive First, and Sprint Family Locator) and Lookout Family Mobile Security.
- Sprint Mobile Controls is an app that allows parents and guardians to guide how their family calls and texts. Parents can set a child's phone to lock while they are at school, driving or after bedtime, see who they are texting and how often, and lock a teen's phone on demand during dinner or family time. Other features include receiving insightful alerts about a child's phone use, ability to view apps downloaded onto their mobile device, ability to explore the child's phone book, and an anytime contact feature that allows the guardian to contact the child even when the phone is on lock.
- Sprint Drive First automatically activates when the phone is in motion and prevents texts, calls, emails and other potential distractions. Additional features include an autoreply service that will send programmed autoreplies to incoming texts, allowed contacts that the customer can designate to never be blocked, allowed applications that can be used when the phone is in motion, and custom notifications.
- Sprint Family Locator gives families the ability to locate their children using real-time data and an interactive satellite map. Additional features include automatically checking to make sure children have arrived home safely by sending notifications if they are not there.
- Sprint Wego is a value-friendly mobile phone that allows parents to give their child the safety and communication tools they need when they are away from home, while also supplying the parental controls and tracking required to teach responsibility and age-appropriate mobile phone use. The device has one front button and two side volume keys that can be used for scrolling on the LCD screen. A portal available online and via mobile application allows parents to locate their child’s device on a map, control device features such as contacts, and set up notifications.
Educate and empower: tools for Internet safety
With the growing number of social media and Internet users, we understand there are risks associated with navigating an expansive online world. As a result, Sprint has developed unique Internet safety tools and partnerships to provide resources to keep customers and their families safe online.
Statistics from Boys & Girls Clubs of America and Tech Media Network
is a resource launched by Sprint that offers tools and tips related to online safety, cyber bullying, gaming, online predators, privacy, sexting, social networking and Web cams. The content offered by 4Net Safety is aimed at teens and tweens, parents, guardians and educators. All content is available free of charge, and users do not need to be Sprint customers to access the site.
To develop these free resources, Sprint partnered with the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC), Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA), and the Family Online Safety Institute.
More information on 4Net Safety and our partnerships can be found at http://www.sprint.com/4netsafety/
National Safe Place
is a youth outreach program that makes it easier for young people in crisis to get help. Sprint is a proud sponsor of this program. In addition to Safe Place locations, Sprint supports the Txt4Help program, which uses technology to quickly offer teens information about the closest location where they can find immediate help and safety. Teens can text the word SAFE and their current location (address/city/state) to 69866. They will receive a text back with the address of the nearest Safe Place site and a contact number for the local youth shelter. Within that same message they will receive a prompt that says, "reply with 2CHAT for more help." Once they reply, they'll be connected with a professional for more help.