Our 10-year goals
Sprint has extensive operations throughout the United States and in three of the U.S. territories — U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Guam. We have approximately 40,000 employees and a network that serves more than 55 million customers. Our operations are significant, and we place a critical importance on minimizing our environmental impact. After completing a materiality assessment in 2008, we determined which operational impacts were the most critical and created a set of 10-year goals to reduce our company’s environmental footprint. Since then, we have made excellent progress against these goals and have even increased some of our goals after achieving the original target long before we anticipated.
Our 10-year environmental goals include:
- We will reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by 20 percent by 2017.
- We will secure 10 percent of our company’s energy from renewable sources by 2017.
- We will reduce our electric energy consumption by 20 percent by 2017.
- We will reduce operational waste-to-landfill by 30 percent by 2017.
- We will reduce our use of paper by 40 percent by 2017.
- We will reduce annual use of purchased water by 30 percent by 2017.
- We will send for reuse or recycle all of our network and IT e-waste by 2017.
- We will ensure that 90 percent of our suppliers, based on sourceable spend, meet our social and environmental criteria by 2017.
- We will collect nine phones for reuse and recycling for every 10 phones Sprint sells annually — a 90 percent collection rate — by 2017.
- We will ensure 70 percent of wireless devices we launch annually meet Sprint environmental criteria.